Plants provide a tremendous service: Not only are they super pretty, but they keep your home’s air fresh and clean! And if you have pets, you know how icky our inside air can get!However, they can also be pretty easy to kill, which sucks. I used to feel bad when a plant in my care died, so I’ve reallllly refined my list to be hardy.If you’re in the same boat, don’t worry! I’ve got you! This group of 14 plants are safe for pets, clean your household air, AND they’re pretty hard to kill. (By that I mean mean, it can happen, of course, but they’re pretty hardy and I share some tips below to keep ’em thriving, along with a freebie plant care tracker printable at the end.)
OhMyDogBlog.com is a member of the Etsy affiliate network, which means that I may make a small commission on products purchased through links clicked on this site at no extra cost to you. This helps keep this site running, so thanks for your support in this way!
14 Pet-Safe Plants, clockwise from top left (click the plant name to see the one pictured)
- Air plants: They come in all shapes and sizes, can live anywhere (literally!), and only need spritzed with water when dry!
- Haworthia: Prefers dry soil and indirect light? Easy-peasy!
- Boston fern: Does your bathroom have a window or skylight? These guys love humidity and filtered light, and the bright green adds a fun pop of color!
- Parlor palm: Low light, no problem! These thrive in low-light spaces and are an air-cleaning workhouse!
- Spider plant: Adaptable, easy to grow, cleans the air, and looks fab. If you pick any one plant from this list, this one should be it.
- African Violet: Looking for a flower with your pet-safe plants? This one is a bright, beautiful purple, pet-safe, kid-safe, and very easy to care for.
- Wax plant: If you’re a forget-to-waterer, this one’s for you!
- Chinese money plant: Super interesting looking, bright green, statement plant. It requires regular watering and indirect light.
- Polka dot plant: Who doesn’t want a fun pop of pink? Especially if it’s easy to care for, and pet- and kid-safe?!?
- Calathea: This might be the most advanced plant on the list. You need a bright spot that’s not too hot and not too cold, plus careful watering. But, it’ll totally pay off when you hear the leaves rustling (seriously, they do!).
- Blue Echeveria: Let’s talk succulents. They’re hugely popular. Incredibly easy to care for. But not all are pet-safe. This one is and it’s oh-so-cute, too!
- Cast Iron Plant: Perhaps the priciest plant on the list, it’s bright green foliage makes it a pretty, simple houseplant that’s super easy to care for.
- Bamboo: You can pick one of these up just about anywhere. They’re nearly impossible to kill (though I’ve done it… they do need water… sometimes).
- Christmas cactus: Pretty, easy to care for, easy to propagate, this cactus flowers in the winter–giving you a dash of color when it’s most needed!
OK, your turn!
Do you have any of these in your home? Any you’d add to the list? Are you a green thumb… or do you need a little assistance, like I do? Share in the comments!
And I have a free, printable plant tracker for you today! Simply click here to download to help keep your watering, pruning, and fertilizing on track. Better yet: Magnet it to the fridge and get your whole family involved!