Oh, hi there! Remember me? I’ve certainly missed checking in and hearing from you. How’s everything been going for you and your pups? Things have been a smidge nutty around here, but I think (I hope, anyway) that I’m finally getting a handle on all of it. Or, I will have a handle on it by the end of this week. That’s the plan anyway!
For now, a quick run-down:
1. Lucas started chemo yesterday. It was a long, trying day for him. Here, he’s attempting to hide between two counters. “Hehe. I’m hiding. No way that doctor can find me.”
It was the first of four treatments, plus – because he’s enrolled in a specific trial at Purdue – he’s taking an NSAID on top of the chemo to see if it works to slow tumor growth. Coincidentally, Emmett’s on the same one, and we know how well he’s doing! I was so grateful to have the blog Pooches Smooches to reference throughout all this. She went through much the same ordeal with her pup, and just reading about it all before we encountered it was so helpful. I’m outlining some posts to track Lukey’s journey, too, so look for those (starting with the amputation then more about the drug trial) in the coming days. And if you have specific questions, please leave them in the comments so that I’m sure to address them!
2. On Monday, John started a new job. From home. Now we both work from home. That’s a whole lotta togetherness! Hmm. Anyway, to make space for him, I cleaned out a good chunk of my office. He now has a little bit of desk space and a little bit of cabinet space. In the process, I rediscovered lots and lots of awesome pet products that languished in boxes these past six-ish weeks. I tossed my editorial calendar out the window when we got Lucas’ initial diagnosis, and I sort of just forgot. So! Look for some super fun giveaways coming soon. And, speaking of which…
3. Have you signed up for the newsletter yet? It goes out monthly and contains fun extras you don’t see here. Including exclusive giveaways. Like the fun stuff I found in my office!
4. Our BarkBox came yesterday. PERFECT timing, actually, because the mail came mere moments before Lucas got back from Purdue. I was able to distract Cooper with a fun squeaky toy and give Lucas the chew that came in it to get everyone settled down quickly.
5. Finally, among the goodies on my desk is a box of sneakers. They’re running shoes designed for trails and wet terrain. Here’s the thing: I hate to run. Like, I’d probably trade a long run for a trip to the dentist. But sweet, high-energy Cooper needs far more intense exercise than he’s been getting, especially with all the periods of no exercise as we’ve dealt with his brothers. And, I suppose the reality is, my thirty-cough-cough-year-old metabolism could use more than walks around the block. So, we’re starting a training plan. I have two possibilities that I’m researching (no, not at all to procrastinate actually starting it… haha… nope… what would give you that idea? ha.ha.) and will share the details once we hit the ground running. Literally.
Please do let me know any questions you have or anything you’d like to learn more about or see in giveaways or, really, anything at all in the comments below! I promise to get my act together very soon! For now, I leave you with Newt sitting on my leg. I can never tell: Is she going to bite me (because she’s swishing her tail)? Or does she want a scritch (because she’s purring)? It’s a daily, scary debate…
*If you order from our code, we get a tiny commission that previously went toward hosting this site. From here on out, though, it’s going to doggy cancer treatments. Sigh.