I am the type of person who likes to have things under control. I plan, organize, and list as much as possible. There is nothing in control with this Lucas situation. So, I’ve been pouring my energy into getting everything prepared for his recovery. Here’s what’s been going on around here lately…
- His amputation is tomorrow. Some of you might remember, many years ago Emmett had his first bout with cancer. He had a nerve sheath tumor in his foreleg, and the oncologist recommended amputation. I was heartbroken. Devastated. With Lucas, I’m not at all. The difference? Emmett was fine. He wasn’t sore or lame. He seemed the picture of health, so it was a shock to face amputation. And, turns out, a second opinion was just the ticket, and his leg was spared. With Lucas, he’s not putting any pressure on that leg. The tumor is starting to jut outward, which is causing him intense pain (you can kind of see it on his front left leg in the pic of him lounging in the garden, above). The medication zonks him out for a little while, then he wakes up crying. I’m ready to get this part over with so we can move on to his recovery. In the meantime, we’ve been getting everything together to make his recovery easier, and we’re so grateful for all the love and support we’ve gotten. John’s mom so kindly got a ramp and harness for the dear boy, and we’ve been arranging our schedules for the weeks ahead. But, first, tomorrow.
- Speaking of his appointment tomorrow… before all this started, I had been working on a nutrition post as part of our Petcurean partnership. I’m going to dust that off and schedule it for tomorrow so that I don’t have to think or do anything other than focus on keeping myself busy. Which leads me to…
- Spring Cleaning!! It’s the most wonderful time of the year! I actually LOVE to spring clean my house. And, I’ve realized that it’s the best way to keep my mind and hands busy in the face of intense worry. So, tomorrow, I’m going to Clean All The Things to keep myself occupied while Lukey’s in surgery! Yippee for cleaning! Who’s excited to scrub the humidifier with a toothbrush and peroxide? This girl!
- So many other great things have been going on that I’ve glossed over. Last weekend I got to represent Pinups for Pitbulls in Chicago (pic in the collage above), and last Thursday I had the pleasure of participating in a Google Hangout to talk about authenticity in writing – one of my favorite topics – that will be my presentation topic at BlogPaws. Missed it? You can catch it here.
- Finally, I can’t emphasize this enough: Thank you. Truly, thank you. I’m so touched for all the kind, thoughtful words of support. You guys mean the world to me, and I’m so grateful that Lucas has so many people thinking positive thoughts for him. Big hugs all around!
So, that’s what’s going on around here! Did you have a nice weekend? Any fun dog-friendly activities? Are you a Spring Clean lover like me or do you avoid it at all costs??