You guys, I am so excited about this contest!!
Mars Veterinary contacted me at the end of April about trying out their new dog DNA tests. According to Mars, this new test offers:
- Capability to determine the breed makeup of a mixed breed dog or confirm the breed heritage of a purebred or designer dog.
- Improved accuracy and testing for more than 200 breeds and varieties, covering 100 percent of American Kennel Club registered breeds.
- And better insights for owners to understand their pet’s behavior and create a wellness and health plan fit for their dog’s breed background.
I’ve always been wildly curious as to what breeds made up my Lucas.
He’s a handsome fellow with a unique look, and along the way, we’ve had tons of people tell us that he looks JUST like this or that breed. But none of them ever matched up.
So, Mars offered to send me one to try! (And more to giveaway to you guys!! WAHOO! Keep reading for details…)
You might have seen my Facebook post when their lab in Lincoln received his cheek swab. I couldn’t wait to get the results!
And I got them! And, boy, was I surprised!
Wanna know what they are?
Well, you’re gonna have to wait! Because here’s the deal: Mars so generously offered to give three kits to three lucky readers! Instead of raffling them off, I’m holding a contest.
Here it is:
Guess what breeds make up Lucas’ DNA!
I’ll give you some hints and stats.
First, he’s about 7 years old and hovers at about 75 pounds.
Here’s a full-on pic to give you a sense of his stature:
He was picked up as a stray in North Carolina. (Hey, could be relevant… some breeds are more predominant in certain geographies.)
Health-wise, we’ve dealt with a lot of lumps and bumps, but they’ve all (thankfully) been benign. He has bad hips, and he has a sensitive stomach.
Here’s a facial, and there’s another in the sidebar on the right-hand side:
And here he is sleeping (this probably doesn’t help you any, but it sure is adorable):
And the biggest hint of them all: His results showed that Lucas is made up of 3 different breeds, one of which is predominant. The incredible geneticist I spoke with at Mars said that his results were actually very clear and straightforward. Who would’ve thought?
So! Guess the breed!! You know to guess 3 different breeds (you don’t need to specify which one you think is predominant, but you can if you want). The three closest guesses WIN!
And John just pointed out that there might be multiple winners, so in case of a tie, it’ll be the FIRST three who guessed correctly, so get to guessing!!
Now for the contest rules:
1. One entry per person!
2. To be entered to win, leave a comment on THIS POST ONLY with the breeds you think make up Lucas’ DNA. The three closest guesses win DNA test kits from Mars Veterinary. In the case of a tie, the winners will be the first three correct guesses logged.
3. You must enter with a valid email address. I won’t sell it, spam you, or put it on any list. I’ll use it to contact you if you win.
4. The contest opens NOW and closes next Tuesday, July 16, at which point I’ll share Lucas’ DNA test results along with the names of the winners.
That’s it! Feel free to poke around and look at other pics of him if you need different angles, close ups, and so forth, and you’re also welcome to do Google searches for specific breeds or whatever helps you narrow down your guesses.
I seriously can not wait to share the results with you guys!