Yesterday, Cooper took his first ever one-on-one class with a fab trainer. It was a make-up class from a Click-a-Trick session we missed, and it was awesome to see him flourish with that individual attention… awesome enough that I signed up for four more one-on-ones!
We train a lot. Constantly, sort of. When we’re out on walks, lounging around the house, working, whatever, we’re always reinforcing manners and trying to teach new concepts. I strive to spend a few minutes with each dog and the clicker every evening. It’s tough to squeeze it in to busy schedules, of course, and so sometimes I let it go or rush through it to “get it over with” on busy nights. We struggle with setbacks, and we occasionally rush the boys on cues and end up having to backtrack, too.
But despite the time frustrations and the mistakes, every second is worth it. Here are 5 reasons why I love dog training:
- That A-HA! moment they experience when they figure out what you want. You can see the joy on their faces.
- Tricks! How fun to have a dog who can close doors, spin in circles, weave between your legs, and so on?! It’s hilarious!
- The increments. It would be phenomenal to be able to say, “Lucas, look. Stop aggressing at other dogs. We won’t let you get hurt. There’s nothing to be scared of. Walk nicely, ‘k?” But, by building up a training regimen, we’ve been able to watch him grow, step-by-step. It’s incredibly rewarding to watch them build up from a basic foundation.
- Bonding. Working out a new trick or cue together is such a great way to bond. Even though it can be difficult to find the time to train, I love those bonding opportunities with each of my guys.
- Impressing friends and family! Yes, this is a purely superficial reason, but aren’t all those compliments great?? I love showing off their tricks to just about anyone who’s willing to watch. After all that hard work, it’s fun to perform!
What about you? Why do you love dog training?