Before we get to the Airing of Grievances and the Feats of Strength, let’s talk about the Festivus Miracle!
More specifically, making it happen!
Christmas is two days away, and 2015 is right around the corner. As you’re piling presents under your tree, lighting the last candle on your menorah, or simply hunkering down in front of a crackling fire, it’s the most wonderful time of the year: a time for thanks and a time for gratitude.
My dogs inspire me every single day, and I’m so grateful that they found their way into our family. They are my Festivus Miracle every day, all year long.
But there are so many dogs – and cats and guinea pigs and rabbits and more – stuck in shelters, awaiting their Festivus Miracle.
Now, I know we can’t all bring more animals into our homes (even though John thinks it’s HILARIOUS to joke that he got me a puppy for Christmas…) but there is so much we can do to bring the joy of the season to these animals while they await their forever homes. Here are five ideas that you can do even in the next couple days – or today to deliver a Festivus Miracle!
- Take advantage of all those last-minute deep discounts and sales! Right now, you can buy-one-get-one on just about anything! Stores are offering frantic deals to get us to shop, shop, shop for Christmas, so as you get stocking stuffers for your pets, pick up a second flat of cat food, a few deeply discounted chew toys, or some litter/poop bags/whatever and drop it at your local shelter. (Some pet stores have collection boxes conveniently set up in their entryway, so you don’t even have to make an extra trip!)
- Whip up a batch of holiday cookies for your dogs, and double, triple, or quadruple the recipe. The extras will make a special treat for dogs stuck in the shelter this Christmas.
- Stuck on a last-minute gift idea for a pet lover? Consider a donation to an animal charity. Cindy Lu’s Muse shared an impressive list. (We’re partial to the Morris Animal Foundation, of course.)
- Do a quick pet supply clean out. If you’re anything like us, you might find you have a few extra leashes, collars, and random supplies floating around your house. It’s very likely that you’ll be adding more stuff to your house as you unwrap gifts, so sort through the extras (I like the “one in, one out” rule). We have a supply bank here in town for folks who need a little help providing the basics for their pets to keep them in their homes. Those extras can go a long way for someone in need.
- Join the BlogPaws community to exchange ideas with like-minded pet lovers. It’s a free place to connect with others who are as inspired by their pets as we are!
Those are five quick ideas you can do in the next two days to spread a little joy, create a Festivus Miracle, and connect with other animal lovers. I’m sure there are many more! I’d love to hear YOUR ideas is the comments!
In the meantime, Happy Festivus!
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by BlogPaws. I am being compensated to support Giving Month with an inspirational post, but OMD! only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. BlogPaws is not responsible for the content of this article.