Do you guys do this, too? You’re in your car, walking down the street, waiting for the bus, whatever, and… oh! look! a dog! Your head swivels, and you smile as they walk past (or, if they’re close enough, shout, “May I please pet your dog?!”).
And so, the other day, we were driving along, and I spot up ahead… a dog! A big dog! A big huge fluffy white dog! (Yes, I’m a child.) As we get closer, John spots something and says to me, “Ugh. Don’t look.”
So what do I do? I look. (As I said: a child.)
This poor dog. The lady was jerking the crud out of him with what I’m sure she thought were “leash corrections” with his big ole choke chain. Of course, it wasn’t clear to him (or me) what she was correcting because she jerked hard every two or three steps.
Thankfully, the dog was huge and probably didn’t experience that much physical discomfort. Though confusion and frustration? Probably.
Anyway, it got me thinking how many pet peeves I have. No, not pet peeves. Pet owner peeves. So, here goes (and please, please, pretty please share yours in the comments!!! if we can’t laugh together…)
- Not. picking. up. It’s inexcusable.
- Leash jerks (see above)
- Really long, convoluted, overly-anthropomorphic explanations of behavior that make no sense and put too much responsibility on the poor dog (“Oh, no! Mr. Snugglepuff IS house trained. He only pees in the house because he’s so upset with me for painting the living room such a bright color. It clashes with his bed, you know, and my baby loves nothing more than to match!”)
- Off leash in on-leash areas
- Corollary: “Don’t worry!! She’s friendly!” shouted from a couple blocks away.
- Flexi-Leads (I know this is a controversial one, but I hate ’em. I hate that dogs in vet lobbies on Flexis just run right up to my guys. I hate that, from a block away, I can’t tell if the dog is actually on a lead or not. I hate trying to cross past one and the lead zipping across your legs. Hate. Them.)
- Running up and grabbing/petting my dogs without asking first
- Anyone trying to “Dog Whisper” their dog. Do. not. alpha. roll.
- Using a collar as a steering wheel
- Judging other people’s decisions about their pets and their pet’s care (minus, you know, the stuff listed above)
There you have it: My top 10 pet owner peeves! What are yours? What would you add to this list?
End note: Totally unrelated (unless costumes are one of your pet peeves… to each her own…) I forgot to share their Halloween pic ON Halloween. Oops. So, my little shark and minnows!!